Friday, June 18, 2010

The Second Vet Visit

Rosie went to the vet again today. It is not a very inviting place. Neither she nor Ron had any fun. Our vet was not there and they saw another vet, probably for the last time. At dinner, Ron told me repeatedly that the vet told him not to encourage the puppy's to chew on him. "What does she think I am, stupid? This is my fourth Chessie. Doesn't she think I know not to let her chew on me?" He was not in a good mood. He never enjoys paying to be talked to as though he is stupid. The good news is she gained "a pound six," that's what he said, "a pound six". The bad news is she didn't do very well in the truck - I think he may have let her chew on him to settle her down so he could drive.

Rosie was not too happy to be visiting the vet either and I doubt she even knew she was going to get two shots. After she waited awhile, she was a little more comfortable.




The vet had to give her two shots. DHPP Temporary Puppy Vaccine and
Rosie whined for the first shot but took the second like a trooper. She also got her second bottle of Clavamox and only needs one more. She is suppose to
go back in two weeks for another set of shots.

By the time she left, she felt right at home. This is not a picture of the rude vet whom Ron would not ask to take her picture with Rosie, but rather the nice vet assistant who was happy to have her picture taken with such a cute puppy. Is Rosie chewing on her finger?

I think we are going to be in Erie in two weeks. And we are driving. It should be a fun trip cosnsidering the vet is a fifteen minute drive if the traffic is bad. Erie is a fifteen hour drive if the traffic is good, we speed, and we don't stop.

Even though we have had dogs most of our married life and we have frequently traveled with them, we have never purchased one of those pet vehicle barriers that keep your pets in the back seat. In place of one of these nifty barriers, Ron just used some bolt cutters and cut a portable exercise fence that he puts right behind the front seat. He attaches it with plastic ties. His parents gave us the exercise fence, so other than the cost of the plastic ties it didn't cost us anything. You can imagine how attractive it looks and how comfortable the back seat is when the fence is up. Occasionally, Sara or I have to sit back there with the dogs. It feels like you are in a squad car, but it didn't cost much.









4 comments:

  1. Winnie is also not good in the car. I think she would enjoy it much more if we'd let her roam at will, but because she's confined to her doggy carseat (yes, they make such things, and yes, we are the kind of crazy dog parents who buy such things), she cries the whole time. She also gets carsick. When we drove to Erie for Christmas, I got doggy dramamine from the vet, partly because I didn't want her getting sick, and partly because I wanted her knocked out for a good portion of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the doggie carseats at the store, but I've never seen one in action. Can the dog fall asleep in it? It looks like they have to sit up. Unless they take after my side of the family who can fall asleep while talking to you, I wouldn't think they could sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winnie can sleep in hers, but I think maybe that's partly because she's so low to the ground that she's almost lying down even when she's not. :) It might be different for bigger dogs, because they've got further to go in order to lie down, and the leash might not be long enough to allow for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check them out again. Rosie is small enough that maybe she could sleep in one. Right now we have a little kennel that we can put her in.

    ReplyDelete