Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rosie and Daisy BFF


Before we get started with the Rosie update, I just want to share a picture of our beautiful lawn. It looks much better than the professional job done a couple of weeks ago. Ron is thrilled to be done with it as you can imagine.

Rosie had her third vet visit today. We ventured out in the new car. She was in the back and the barrier was in place. She could have escaped under it, but she kept trying to go over it and couldn't fit. She was not able to escape to the back seat, but she did initiate the car with just a little pee. I didn't have a towel or anything to clean it. Fortunately, the vet gave me some paper towels - no charge.

She weighs 19.25 lbs. We were pretty close when we guessed 20 lbs. She got a booster shot, Frontline, and Iverheart Plus. (The Vet said it saved us 20% over HeartGard this year.) Of course, that could not be the end of it. He noticed her ears stunk, and they do. He gave us an antibiotic, Gentamycin Otic. Saln., to put in her ears twice a day also, Chlorhexiderm Flush to clean her ears twice a week. You know I don't really mean that he gave it to us.

He thinks the ear infection may be caused by a food allergy. This is why he does not recommend more than one bag of Puppy food. He says it is too high in carbohydrates- sounds familiar. I think my doctor said my diet was too high in carbohydrates, too. If the ear infection does not clear up, he will recommend changing dog food. He is a proponent of feeding your dogs raw chicken and vegetables. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ear infection clears up.

While waiting for the Vet, I was talking to the Tech and she just loves Rosie. She thinks she is so cute and friendly. I know they say that about all the puppies. Then, she told me they have a few Chessie's for patients that they cannot even touch. I'm always incredulous when I hear these stories about Chessies because our experience with them has been so positive. She also asked me if Rosie was getting along with her sister and I assured her they are BFF.


4 comments:

  1. stinky ears? could that be daisy's problem too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ws my thought exactly. Daisy has been to this vet and he never mentioned her odor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as food goes, I've heard that a lot of dog foods can cause allergic reactions because they contain a lot of wheat or corn. Winnie had issues with paw chewing that the vet said were probably a skin issue related to food allergies. She's gotten much better in the time that we've had her because we immediately switched to a more high-protein food (we were trying to help her gain some weight, too). Check out Blue Buffalo--it's available at Pet Smart, and their website is pretty informative. It's a bit more expensive than most regular foods, but you actually feed them a little less. Plus, the added benefit is that it makes their stool much more solid.. :)

    As a disclaimer, we've since had to switch from Blue Buffalo because Winnie quit eating the fruit and veggie bits, and then quit eating the food entirely. We changed over to Evo, which she really liked. Unfortunately, Evo has been bought out to Proctor & Gamble, and our pet store is no longer carrying it because P&G apparently cuts corners with their foods. We've now started the switch over to Orijen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the info. Aren't dogs fun! If this Purina One doesn't work out we will have to look into an alternative. I'm glad to have a few suggestions before we go the raw chicken route.

    ReplyDelete